Time to look at what we eat, drink, and how we exercise. (I certainly need to do that!) I found a book I bought several years ago by Doctors OZ and ROIZEN titled YOU STAYING YOUNG, the Owner’s Manual for Extending Your Warranty. (No, you won’t be getting calls or texts like you do if you own a car. This is legit.) Published in 2005 by Simon and Schuster Free Press, it has good information on how to stay healthy as seniors. No, you won’t suddenly by 50, 60, or 70 again. That time machine hasn’t been invented yet and we can’t wait around for it. However, you might add 2,5 or 10 years to your life. Sounds good to me.
Here are the good doctor’s recommendations from Chapter 16 “The 14 day YOU Extended Warranty Plan”
Your Daily YOU-do LIST:
- Walk 30 minutes. If you can’t walk 30 consecutive minutes, walk 3 times for 10 minutes. A pedometer or Fitbit is a good tool. Shoot for 10,000 steps.
- Floss and brush your teeth that you wish to keep.
- Drink several cups of green tea along with copious amounts of water.
- Take you pills and daily vitamin tablets.
- Sleep 7 or 8 hours a night. About 15 minutes before bed finish any must do chores and spend a few minutes breathing and meditating. No watching TV. Sex is recommended.
- Meditate for 5-15 minutes sometime during the day.
That’s enough for now. Stay tuned. More to come!