Here in my retirement home, we have many mothers, who are also grandmothers and great-grandmothers!
Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1907 when Anna Jarvis held the first Mother’s Day service of worship at Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church in Grafton West Virginia. In 1912 she trademarked the phrase “Second Sunday in May, Mother’s Day, Anna Jarvis Founder”. She noted that mother’s should be a singular possessive, for each family to honor its own mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world.
Here are some mother quotes:
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” Unknown
- “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” Susan Gale
- “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” James E. Faust
- “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; a mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” Unknown
- “Only mothers can think of the future because they give birth to it in their chilidren.” Maxim Grosky
- “My mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” Lisa Leslie
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” Maya Angelou
- “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It is huge and scary.” Gilda Radner
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!